In North America we use single-stream recycling method. You put recyclable into blue bin and then it gets sorted in sorting facilities intro categories. But often we put wrong things into blue bin which may ‘contaminate’ the whole recycling batch. Which will lead to the whole truck of recyclables just sent to landfill.
So, what are the things we should NOT send to the blue recycling bin?
- Soiled Food Wrappers
- Disposable paper cups
- Pizza boxes
- Wax coasted take out boxes
- Oily plastic containers
- Used Napkins and Paper Towels
- Plastic Utensils
- Plastic Straws
- Plastic bags
- Plastic food packaging
- Chips & snacks bags
- Plastic flower pots & garden hoses
- Rubber gloves & rubber bands
- Any electronics, including batteries and light bulbs
- Broken glassware or ceramics
- Aluminum foil & alu containers
- Diapers or feminine products
- Items with mixed materials
Watch this video for more explanation about why these things can’t be recycled and what are the alternatives.